Tuesday, April 17

Strange Things are Afoot at the Circle K

One of the latest mysteries of Taiwan - and presumably other countries, but I'm not in other countries - to rear its head and occupy my mind is this:

Why do convenience stores advertise on TV?



What's the point? No-one has and brand loyalty to any particular convenience store; if I want to go buy a Coke or whatever, I go to the nearest store, I don't home in on, say, 7-Eleven. The only times anyone specifically goes to store x are when that store has a particular thing others don't - for instance, as far as I know Family Mart is the only one that sells SkypeOut credit - or, for some people, if you want to collect that rubbish they give away.

I know it must serve some purpose, surely. There has to be some effect. But I don't see it. I just don't get it. I understand why fast food chains advertise - there's a genuine preference issue there; some people prefer Burger King, others prefer McDonalds, and the role of advertising is essentially conversion. But that doesn't work for convenience stores.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's wrong with you. You know trying to understand the Taiwanese culture is like trying to understand women. It can't be done!

Z. said...

Hey, it worked! The next time I’m in Taiwan I am totally stopping at… whatever the hell the name of that place is. ;)

Geof said...

Well ho-ly crap, a veritable Internet celebrity posting on my little ol' blog!

Hmm, that reminds me... must check that Hipster, Please! is in the links list over there....

Anonymous said...

hi there friends. I'm really into shoes and I had been searching for the sake of that particular brand. The prices as regards the sneakers are all over 190 dollars on every page. But finally I set this area selling them for half price. I really like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy those. what can you say about it?